Entertaining Your Girls
If your chickens are pecking at the fence or run wire it may be because they are bored.
Chickens are pretty intelligent animals and are a bit like children who are bored, they turn a bit naughty! This naughtiness might be in the form of pecking through their fence if is a nylon one.
Why Do Chickens Get Bored?
A bit like us it is because they have nothing to entertain them… The reasons they get bored can be because:
- There is nothing to peck at in their run, maybe the grass has all gone
- You have had to move them into a smaller run or area due to colder weather
- Their run is just dirt, nothing interesting in there for them
Ideas to Help Prevent Chicken Boredom:
- Hang up a bird feeder with vegetable leaves in it
- Hang up a whole cabbage, the fun with this is that it moves around as it is pecked which makes it harder for the chicken
- Use something like broccoli and hang it so that the chickens have to jump to reach it, exercise, entertainment and food in one!
- Hang up bird toys that you would buy for parrots, you could easily make one of these as well
- Hang up a mirror, they love looking at themselves – they find it fascinating
- Throw in some straw or hay with a handful of sunflower seeds or mealworms for them to peck around and find
- Fill an empty plastic bottle with chicken scratch, then piece the sides with holes so that the chickens have to roll the bottle around to get the scratch
- Add a dust bath to the run, this can be as simple as a container filled with sand
- Freeze treats like sweetcorn into ice cubes so they have to peck through the ice to get the corn
- Hang up old cds so that they move in the breeze
- Add extra perches, this can be an old wooden crate or a tree stump, it doesn’t need to be fancy
- Add a chicken swing, hours of entertainment swinging to and fro
What do you do to keep your chooks entertained?
This entry was posted in Chickens